Thursday, August 1, 2019

Hello everyone,

     So far, my time here in Ghana has been amazing and so educational. From getting here and just taking in the scenery to actually beginning the drumming and dance lessons, I have already learned so much. I don’t have many negative things to note but I have noticed some things that I need to work on with the courses. I have noticed that I have trouble with remembering which rhythm or which dance step is coming next even though I know what to do. For example, with this rhythm called Fast Agbekor, one of the drums called the kidi changes its rhythm and its hard for me too remember when the rhythm changes. We went over it about 25 times and its still hard but I guess it will come with time.
     Other than that, I’m learning that I have trouble just relaxing or finding something to do that doesn’t involve technology. Being in Baltimore (where I live), I can’t think of a time I am without technology. I even leave the TV on to go to sleep at night and listen to music when I walk around the city. Being without technology is hard but I like it. It makes me more aware of my surroundings and I feel like I’m better able to relax and just take in this beautiful place and all its wonder.

Thanks for listening,
Charles

No comments:

Post a Comment