Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Answers to some questions

This post is in response to some of the questions that we've received here on the blog.

My motivation here in Ghana is time. I have been given two weeks to grab all the knowledge I can, straight from the source, before I have to leave. I have been given a once in a lifetime opportunity to actually experience a culture I had previously only interacted with indirectly. If I don't absorb all I can here and now, I wont get another chance for awhile, perhaps never. I want to fly home content and confident that I could not have spent my time here more wisely.

In regards to whether or not being in ghana makes a difference, I would definitively stand on the side that says it does. Back in the States, I didnt have the context and history behind the music. But here, I can learn about the meaning of the music, rather than just how to play it. Knowing that, I can begin to incorporate that history into my dancing, rather than just copying the moves an instructor gave me, I'm dancing and retelling history.

No comments:

Post a Comment