Monday, August 5, 2019

In response to Peggy!

Traveling to a different place or working in the field has always been one of the greatest motivators for me to learn, grow and experience things as fully as possible. I have come to know how I learn best over my years going through the whole system of schooling; hands on experience. Discussion of a concept can only get me so far, I need to really experience, understand first hand and put into practice what it is I am learning. The classes that were most difficult for me were the ones where there wasn’t any action, when I say action I mean putting what we are learning into practice. So classes like band, drumming, creative writing or philosophy were always my favorite. 

Here in Ghana we are learning by doing. There are no concepts to be read up on and memorize for a test, just drumming and dancing to do in preparation for a performance. Being in this place makes me feel motivated because #1 I am here, we are doing straight up experiential learning and also the passion of our teachers is contagious. They love what they do and want us to do better and be better. I feel motivated to try my hardest by challenging myself and the group because it feels like the right thing to do and our teachers have made it clear to us that we are capable. Not to mention the music is pretty badass and getting to the point where it just becomes muscle memory would be a major accomplishment and all around pretty epic. 

There is also a level of terror being thrown into the fire that is this music-it is intimidating yet I’ve found that the times I learn best are the times I am thrown into that space and have to adapt. It’s like I NEED to get this pattern or I won’t be able to progress, nor will my group mates. There’s no other option! Which is terrifying, yet there is no better way to learn for me because once I’ve gotten it I know what I am doing and most importantly I know now what not to do. 

Stepping outside my comfort zone is where I’ve learned the most about myself and the world around me-so I’m more than willing (though anxious) to take any opportunity that will allow me to breach that zone of comfort, take on a challenge and see how myself and those around me can figure it out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment